Monday, August 15, 2005

5 Things that I cannot abide

1) Guys in short robes: You know, the terry-cloth ones that hit mid thigh? I was once dating a fabulous man--wonderful in every way. He was funny, smart, interesting, not bad looking, shared many of my interests and loved to travel. We hit it off and I heard wedding bells in my future. Then I saw him wearing a short robe. And it was never the same after that. It was like feeling my ovaries dry up in less than sixty seconds.

2)Ass-crack revealing jeans: Do I even need to explain this one? Have you ever looked at a girl in ass-crack-revealing jeans and said to yourself, "Wow, she looks like a class act!" No? Didn't think so.


3)Cheesy music: Any song by Jefferson Starship or the Eagles makes me want to thrust sharp objects directly into my eardrums. Also, I really, really hate the songs "What a Wonderful World" (Yes, even the Louis version) and "Unchained Melody." I know, people love those songs. A lot of people also like Celine Dion, so a lot of people don't always display great taste.


4)Yippee moms:
Take a hippy, give her a whole lot of money, a bearded Jesus-look-alike husband and a doula and watch her spend the rest of her miserable life attempting to make other mothers feel like shit for not breast-feeding until their kids are 5. She always sounds so peaceful, like she just had the most transcendental spiritual experience, and that makes you feel like a frantic unhinged, selfish, superficial, consumeristic moron when you're around her. My advice--skip the date you have with her to drink organic chai tea and discuss diaper-free parenting, and go get a greasy burger and a stiff drink with someone whose company you actually enjoy.


5)Friends who aspire to be Pablo Neruda: People who write really bad emotional poetry and then beg their friends to read it. This is not right. It is just not right.

4 comments:

Mizchief said...

Listen here lady.... if I ever reach the same level of frank observation delivered with enough sarcism and impecable timing to make drinks come out the nose of others... let me know until then, let me just read your blog. By the way, yippee mom looses it occasionally, I know, I'm her neighbour.

katie's brain said...

HA--you'd better not mean me, woman! I think you mean that OTHER neighbour!

Mary said...

Agreed. I hate yipees. Though I've been supporting men in short shorts for some time, as I believe in equal-opportunity-objectivization.

Also, thanks for your comments on my photos. You're a sweetheart. And you're blogs hysterical!

katie's brain said...

Thanks Mary! Your pics are really great.