Sunday, October 09, 2005

Some humiliating revelations about me...

1) I try to avoid it like the plague, but if for some reason there's nothing else on tv and I watch Extreme Makeover Homeowner's Edition, I always wind up weeping.

2) I have never mastered chopsticks. The utensils, not the piano piece, but I can't play that either. Do you know how embarrassing it is to be the one dork in a Chinese restaurant who has to ask for a fork?

3) There are a couple of BeeGees songs that I like. I know. You don't have to tell me how wrong this is.

4) Whenever I see ice skating during the Olympics, I spend the next hour pretending to do double axels in my living room.

5) I also voluntarily watch American Idol and its Canadian counterpart, and then I sing "Stop!" by Sam Brown for about half an hour after each episode and curse the show's age restrictions. I coulda been a contender!

5) Ever since I saw an ABC afterschool special in the 80s about a bunch of "popular kids" who make over a homely classmate who winds up being the prom queen, I've been addicted to cheesy movies in which a girl is made over and winds up winning everyone's heart. I mean cheesy. Like Pretty Woman. Or even worse, that piece of crap Freddie Prinze Jr movie where his dorky sister makes over a girl he likes--she looks like Winona Ryder with glasses and a bad haircut--but wow, a little lipstick and some mascara and (it's a miracle!) she's suddenly a knock-out! And come on...that scene in Breakfast Club when Molly Ringwald teaches crazy Ally Sheedy about the power of brown eyeliner? That's gold, baby. I have a disease. I was channel surfing and actually slowed down to see homely Mandy Moore turn into pretty-but-fatally-ill Mandy Moore in A Walk to Remember. I need help.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't be admitting ANY of this stuff to anyone who's not an acredited professional...

How come I'm a guy and I always HATED those scenes in John Hughes movies where the cool girl got "girled"... Allie Sheedy was HOT, quit trying to make her fit into a pink dress.....

katie's brain said...

Paul, you mean to tell me that you DON'T do double axels in your living room after watching ice skating during the Olympics?!

And yeah, yeah, I know, Ally Sheedy was the hot one, but she DID look better with the brown eyeliner.

Anonymous said...

The brown eyeliner was good, but her hair was better the way it was.

kris said...

I agree with you on EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE. Want to enter therapy together? :)

katie's brain said...

Are you kidding me, Kris? That would be the most fun therapy group EVER!

madge said...

This is how bad I am. That Freddie Prinze Jr. movie? 'She's All That.'

Oy.

I can tell you when and what theater I saw it in, too. Not that you wanted to know or anything.

kris said...

You are so right. Let's 12 step it!

katie's brain said...

As long as you're still talking about a therapy group and not some complicated form of the Macarena, Kris, you're on =)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm right there with you on 1, 3, and both 5's.

How can you NOT cry during the reveal of Extreme Makeover Home Edition!

I'd like to add Princess Diaries as another makeover teen movie to watch.

Does this explain why I don't have many male friends?