Wednesday, May 24, 2006

In an effort to shock Egan even further, I will post twice in ONE day!!!!


My son F just came into my office--the sitter (A) is downstairs asking his mom to pick him up, despite the fact that I've offered to drive him so he won't be here all fucking night--and whispered, "Mom, do we have any treats?" I tell him no, but maybe we can get one later. Then he looks at me suspiciously and says, "Please, just tell me where they are--I promise I'll share with A." I say, "F, there are no treats. We'll get some later." He says, "Well, can I just check and see where you're hiding the treats?" and I say again, emphatically, "F, there are NO treats. I'm not hiding anything!" He is totally exasperated and says, "Well, can I just check?!" and at this point I'm just about insane and I say, "F, you can't check for something that doesn't exist! I do not have treats. There is no point in checking for something when I say they aren't there. I am not lying--there are NONE." He lets out this huge sigh and says, "Ugh! It's like you're speaking a different language or something!!!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The secret language of 'NO'. Very hard to understand.

katie's brain said...

Yes, it's that secret female language =)

egan said...

I think he's heard too much of that ice cream truck song in his head.

Wow, three posts in a week. I am flabbergasted. Something must in the water north of the border. So your birthday isn't May 4th is it? Just checking.

Anna said...

You are speaking TWO languages actually.

The first is "parent" VERY hard to translate directly to "child".

The second if "female" - this one is a subtle language with nuances and such that if one is not fluent in will almost ALWAYS simply just create more confusion.

Female parents are superior.... just learn to accept your high level of existance and move one. It's easier that way.