Saturday, April 29, 2006

Did you ever have that nightmare...

where you suddenly realize you're one credit shy of graduating, one exam away from finishing a course...but you find this out well after you thought you were done? I mean, you've been going around living your life, thinking you were finished, celebrating the fact that you're all done, and then you find out that all along you were wrong?

I'm living that nightmare.

I just discovered that despite all of my careful checking and double checking and planning and everything else, I miscalculated the amount of senior credits I have. I am not finished after all. I am, to my surprise and dismay, one class away from graduating.

I celebrated finishing school last week. I started kicking back with magazines at night--finally able to enjoy a light read without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else instead. But wait! I SHOULD have been doing something else instead! Like actually taking the right number of courses!

The worst part about this is is the fact that I actually DROPPED a senior course last semester, thinking I had more than enough, because I didn't need the added stress. Ha!

And there are so few classes in the summer that I can take that will work around my job. My boss has been really patient so far about my being in school, but this might be the last straw.

So, today I registered for a month long third year poli-sci course about American politics. I know nothing about poli-sci. I know nothing about American politics apart from the fact that I hate George Bush and Karl Rove. The textbooks cost a fortune.

Am I crazy? Or should I audition for the music department and take a month long course about singing for the stage? I'm serious. Input is required friends. I know I've neglected the blog, but please, if you don't mind dusting away the cobwebs in here with me, I'd sure appreciate advice from anyone who has any poli-sci knowledge.

This is so depressing.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH Katie that stinks! But just.one.more. and you'll be done! I think you may find the poly sci class interesting. And what else is there to know except that you hate Bush and Rove? That works for most of us Yanks~!!

Yoy still ROCK!!!!!

Page Turner said...

That is the crappiest news ever! I could never take poli-sci and I'm thinking that as long as you don't get graded on how well you sing then the singing class might be alright. Unless of course you CAN sing and then it would be a great idea!

I used to dream I confused the schedules of my university exams and ended up missing them all. I hated the feeling I had when I woke up in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, Katie, that totally blows. BLOWS!!

I say return the books and go for the singing! If you have to take one more course, you should at least go out on a high note. Hahahahaaaa.

Seriously though, take the singing. American politics will just make you bitter (unless you get credit for watching The Daily Show).

katie's brain said...

The trouble with the singing course (and I can sing pretty well, so that's not a concern) is that it's not until August and it's every night for that month. I'd rather just get this over with since it's only 3 nights a week for the month of May and we haven't moved off campus. By August we'll definitely have moved and so I'd have to commute here in the evenings and have a sitter 5 nights a week.

Anonymous said...

Katie... talk to someone in administration for your department... often they can make subtle adjustments to degree requirements. Maybe give you earned credit for something you've done? Are there any parenting courses or children's education courses? Bet you could test out of one of those easily.

Anonymous said...

I was all for the singing Katie, who else do I know that advanced to the kareoke finals in the only country bar in Montreal with her stunning rendition of Dolly Parton's 9-5? No one.
Poli-Sci sound more convenient and less demanding time wise, but the singing for the stage course is so much more Katie. Not to mention you'd finish school with a curtain closing in front of you and applause from the audience. An apt finish for the exceptional level of dedication you have had to put in all these years.

I think you deserve it and I think the hassle of a sitter and the time you have to commit will be repaid 10-fold.

Besides, it has always made me happy when you sing.

-smiling at you, Carol

katie's brain said...

Awww Carol--you're the best. It looks like I may have to take both, actually. I didn't just screw up this credit count a little. Upon further examination it appears that I am TWO credits short. Not one. So much for a fun summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry this wasn't a nightmare you could wake up from, Katie. I like what Matt suggested. Your hard work and life experience deserve credit, dammit! That said, I would love to see you sing.

wegrit said...

Where was your advisor through all of this?!?!? Isn't it his/her job to be on the same page with you about this sort of thing? Trust me, I understand the frustration...I was all set to graduate in August when my advisor sat me down in April and said "oh, yeah...about that..." And now I'm looking at Texas until December.

My undergrad degree is in theatre and I'm very pro-arts, so I'm gonna go with taking the theatre class, but Poli Sci isn't too bad...more work, less fun (unless you're a glutton for punishment or are afraid in singing in front of other people) but still a viable option.

katie's brain said...

Apparently my advisor is a crackhead. She saw the courses I had listed, told me I had two extras (so I dropped them mid-term when the workloads got to me) and everything was right on track. When I complained to admin about this, they chirped, "it's your responsibility to make sure everything is in order." Ummm, hello? That's why I saw an advisor! To be responsible and make sure everything was in order!

I'm going to take online courses I think. I'm looking at an apartment tonight for June and if we take it, I really don't want to commute to UVIC all summer or pay for a full time sitter. I'd like to actually have some time with the kid this year. So, I'll do a couple of correspondence courses, whip them off after work and be done with it.

Ugh.

katie's brain said...

Hi Joe! Technically I could stay, but then I'll have to compete for apartments with every other student returning to Victoria looking for a place. I'd rather just get moved in and get F adjusted to the new area--day camps, etc, so he can meet some kids. I just looked at a place tonight and if she picks us, I think we'll be moving June 1st. I'll email everyone here who I'm on email basis with to update your address books when I know for sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Katie. What a colossal drag. I was feeling so liberated for you. Back in the old shackles, eh?

I agree that your advisor should be held to account. It isn't a cakewalk trying to calculate credits for graduation.

Crap.

Anonymous said...

American Politics???? Okay you ARE insane. Take, singing, (I know you can sing, that will even make it easier), take drama, take a language, better yet do they have travelling courses? In say Malaysia or the Caribbean? Perhaps a course that involves laying on the beach reading a book. Yeah, literature.
Those are my suggestions - but then, yes I AM lazy.
PS The ice cream truck just drove by - gotta run-
Pam

katie's brain said...

Ha Pam!

I'm doing something online--not sure what yet, but I'll be doing it in July so I can enjoy the rest of the summer--that is if it ever arrives!